Pyra

“Those Who Dwell in the Fire” (Immortal Frost Productions, 2024)

Let start off by saying that “Summit of Existence” has one of the best openings I have heard in a while, and this says a lot, considering that Death Metal related releases are not my cup of tea, at all. And that is one of the things that surprised me the most when I first had contact with the band: they play a sound that has never appealed to me in a way that I wanted to reach out and learn more, research more, like it more… I am very, very picky when it comes to Death Metal, and “nothing is ever good to me” is the best way to put it, and this will always sound arrogant, but the thing is I cannot relate to most Death Metal bands, sounds, releases, etc.

So where does the Italian trio make a real difference? No idea if I must be honest. Their sound is a very contemporary one. There is very little Old School fingerprint in here, their sound is monstrous in the sense that it overwhelms the listener; it surrounds you and crushes you with this immense wall of sound! It is a very well-built sound, the climaxes are all well-established and focused, the vocals are very interesting, and truly add that extra to the music. This comparison might sound absurd but let me put it like this: what I love most about a band like Neurosis is how they built a song, how they start from the bottom and end up in a different galaxy, a different sonic reality. Sounds odd? Maybe it sounds preposterous… yes. I find that in Pyra at times, and maybe that is what I love about them.

“Those Who Dwell in the Fire” is their 1st LP, their second release, and it shows a continuation of their hard work and their growth. Very steady, but confident and well-established. Again, if you ask me how I ended up enjoying a band like Pyra, all I can say is: they are bloody good, fuck! Overall, their almost claustrophobic sound can win us all. And the melody, yes, the melody! Because their sound has plenty of that! It is not, in any way, a discharge of violence and rage. No, no, no! You have – again repeating myself – these moments of true melody and calm, and peaceful light. Light that breaks through this enormous black void… love it.

PURIFYING PYRA

Comentários

Mensagens populares deste blogue