Klanen - Melodies Beneath Despair & Loss

The entity known as Klanen gave its first steps last year, and since then it has shown a tremendous growth in terms of releases and artistic creation. A one-man demon, that unleashed one of this year's best releases (in my opinion): Μνήμα, Klanen, Celestial Sword, and The Oracle. October saw the release the Single (odd thing in Black Metal, I reckon), "Masks Beneath Masks", that confirms that Klanen is a Beast of an Artist. Ladies and Gents, a few words from the man himself: Klanen

We are here awaiting for the new album, correct?! Correct. 

Welcome and thank you very much. How have you lived through these immense days of confinement, states of emergency, pandemic... you name it! How did you adapt to this new reality? 

A.L.: Hi, my pleasure. It has been rough but I've been powering through it. I did not imagine the pandemic lasting as long as it has, but thankfully, I have been able to keep creating to help keep my head straight. 

There is something undeniable: 2021 has been a very productive year. Whether in Klanen, or in Diminishing Spirit, the volume of editions would not be expected in a worldwide pandemic year, but we appreciate it. How does the process of creation, recording, production take place... the whole process?

A.L.: Indeed it has been. It's been tedious to keep up with what I've signed myself up for whether it be splits or demos or what have you, but I've been powering through.

The creation process is the most time consuming part obviously, which I am sure is the case for most musicians. It's usually just me noodling around on my guitar until I form a riff. It's a slow process. Somedays I can write my side of a split in a couple hours or a single song could take weeks. Recording takes just a couple hours typically. I have to sneak into my work after hours to record everything and I really don't change much when I enter the "production" stages of things, if you record like shit going in, it'll sound like shit coming out.

But let us start at the beginning: how did this very recent adventure begin? What made you craft a musical project?

A.L.: It started at the beginning of covid. I was losing my mind thanks to lockdown and having all my normal activities stripped from me and I needed an outlet, and it just happened to be Black Metal. I have always wanted to have a Black Metal project of sorts. Not specifically the sound of Klanen, but when I sat down and started writing, that's what came out.

Can we consider that Klanen is the result of the symbiosis of the Musician and the Individual? Moreover, this Individual, has he based his beliefs, and norms, on what make up Black Metal? 

A.L.: For sure. My music is definitely a reflection of how I feel. The entity behind my music is the same entity that works a full time job and pays bills. I would not say my beliefs are based around what make up Black Metal, but there are some definite correlations.

In these last 10/15 years, we have seen a resurgence of Black Metal, as we had not seen for a long time. A faction of Black Metal has lived in the Underground forever, but even this one came out to the surface and is idolized in a way I have never seen before. I do not know if you agree with this view. 

A.L.: I do not see myself as a project people idolize, personally, if that is what you are saying. I am very appreciative and grateful for the support I have received thus far though. It has been kind of mind blowing. It has been a very exciting time in Black Metal as of late though.

I have had the opportunity to speak with various projects and artists of Black Metal, from the United States, and to all I congratulate for the growing scene. What is your opinion on this, and what projects do you consider representative of it? 

A.L.: Like I said in the last part, it really is an exciting time in Black Metal and most definitely USBM as well. The genre as a whole I feel is very saturated currently but with great, original, and innovative bands: Valac, Lamp of Murmuur, Sanguine Relic, etc. etc. are all great representations of raw Black Metal in the US.

Your last two works were Splits (Saidan and Ceremonial Crypt Desecration). I suppose you do not collaborate with a musician you do not identify with, but allow me to ask you what "contact" points exist between you and these two musicians, that led to these releases?

A.L.: I will collaborate with just about anyone, if I enjoy the music. Most points of contact are through email and Instagram messages. Both splits were conceived that way. I contacted Saidan shortly after his Onryo demo came out, and CCD contacted me shortly after I released "Coerced".

Is there a transversal concept, a transversal link between you and each one of the musicians with whom you collaborated? 

A.L.: I do not believe so, aside from the fact that we are all just one dude in the project, or at least Saidan was at the time. 

On what concept - if appropriate - is your work based as a whole? Is there a theme you use when it comes to creating, to support your Art?

A.L.: There is not one specific concept my themes are based on. Mostly just Loss, Death, and my own personal hardships. Many people often lump me into the "Vampyric" Black Metal tag, but I do not have a single song about Vampirism, and none of my songs, or album titles, even suggest that theme.

What influences you to create the music you craft with Klanen? What weight does the genre's Past have on you, as a musician? Can you see – and create – beyond the (established) borders of Black Metal? 

A.L.: Part of this question was answered in the previous. My own personal loss, family/friend deaths and hardships are what inspire me to create. Of course, I can see past it. Folks have always been trying to push the boundaries and some do it well by including thrash or punk elements. Personally, I think it is okay to go against the grain and do things differently.

Has Black Metal lost what made it the most dangerous sub-genre of Heavy Metal?

A.L.: I do not think so.

Before we end this conversation, I must ask you about Diminishing Spirit. What encouraged you to create this new entity? Go in a different direction, or did you feel that this material did not fit what you structured for Klanen? 

A.L.: Diminishing Spirit is what I wanted Klanen to be originally I think. As Klanen started to move into territory that is more melodic, I wanted to have a rawer and chaotic project. It is pretty different from Klanen in all aspects. 

What idea is Diminishing Spirit based on? What about the future? What have you got prepared for us in the future?

A.L.: Diminishing Spirit is based on medieval fantasy mostly. Dragons, and castles, and dungeons, etc. etc. In the future from Diminishing Spirit you can expect a couple of Splits and maybe a new Demo. From Klanen you can expect LP2, and a few Splits. Klanen LP2 is my focus right now.

It was a pleasure, as it is a pleasure to see how the American scene grows, and how the genre rises to levels of recognition, as I personally do not remember having ever seen. Cheers, mate.

A.L.: Likewise! I have been hesitant to do interviews but this one was cool. Thanks for having me.

Klanen Official Bandcamp

Comentários

Mensagens populares deste blogue