Hollow Woods

“Like Twisted Bones of Fallen Giants”

(Signal Rex, 2024)

Hollow Woods are at it again. These Finns are not your run of the mill Black Metal bands, nor do they fit completely with the Finn craft of the Black Arts. We might risk call them outsiders, perhaps. Interesting is seeing them juggle with their sound. Wait, they are not that outside the box, but neither do they fit the box in the sense that their sound has a different flare, d’you know what I mean?

“Like Twisted…” is their 2nd full length after the tremendous 2021 release, “Cold Winds Cleave the Earth”, and the overall atmosphere is quite present. Very bucolic at time, with splashes of melancholy, as well as a majestic presence. Nature is the main subject, and I agree that their sound fits with said subject. Take a long walk in the woods, during Winter, and let me know if this is not the perfect soundtrack. I mentioned previously how I feel they juggle with Black Metal and distinct hidden melodies, and I still feel that way. Are they Black Metal? Of course, they are; are they a juxtaposition of diversified melodies? Agree, again...

First time I heard “Burial Fires” 2 bands came to mind: Primordial and Reverent Bizarre. Yes, yes, yes. Quite odd, right? And 2 bands that do not fit, at first, in each other. Well, the Finns have not converted their sound that dramatically, but I do find some details that take me to those specific moments. See? Why walk a straight line when you can choose a different path…

“Like Twisted Bones of Fallen Giants” is another step on this metaphorical ladder that leads to a special place, and Hollows Woods are walking that path. A distinct sound, a crafted sound. Try closing your eyes and listening to the music. Tell me what you hear? A special gathering of musician, a special outcome; Hollow Woods have established their sound as an identity of what they are, that is what I can understand from the music: a distinct identity.

Hollow Woods Official Bandcamp

Comentários

Mensagens populares deste blogue