Blushe – “MAD” (2020)


Springfield, Illinois, United States of America. Oh well ,oh well… what do we have here?! First, I discovered these Grrrrrlz after they started following me on Instagram. Weird. Why would a band start following me?! I blame it on COVID-19. Sorry for the… dark humour.

Where were we?! Oh yeah, Blushe, an all female Punk/Grunge band from Springfield, Illinois, United States of America. It took me a while to give it a go, I have to be honest. At first, I thought that their music would not appeal to me, just because. Not because they are girls, obviously. do you remember The Runaways?! Yeah, I love them! So please, forget that! But then, I gave it a go. Subway ride, headphones on, and there I went. It is short, and I love Demos and (most) Eps due to this: it is all neatly stored into 4 or 5 tracks! Superb ahahah the thing is, I started repeating and repeating. I must have played it on both subway rides, and on the bus, that day! I loved it!

I would not call it completely Grunge, nor would I call it Pop. Neither does it sound like The Ramones. It is not L7. And?! Does it have to sound like A or B to be… this or that?! That is one of my biggest issues with the music industry (in comes the avenger): every single band, music, album, whatever, has to be placed within a “drawer”, a “basket”, a something, that gives it the legitimate moral right to be called A or B. Do you get it?

Sooo, what does Blushe sound like, after all?! They have this Punk sound, all around. It sounds dirty, but at the same time… sweet and delicate. Not because ladies are behind the wheel, but in fact, it does have that gentle touch to it. The vocals, right at the beginning, take me straight to what Hole were doing in the 90s. I do not know how they feel about Kourtney Love… but I am sorry?! Ahahah joking! But, at the same time, I sense a bit of Melissa Auf Der Maur, but not as harsh as said Ginger! The vocals grip you, and dance with you throughout these 4 songs, regardless of who there are similar to or not.

Their Punk is not a colourful one. Do not confuse these girls with an act like… Green Day, for f@ck’s sake! You can actually hear that there is something Seattle in their sound. Be it the slower moments, the emphasis given to the bass (oh yes, please) or the overall structure, Blushe has Seattle written all over them!

Shorts tracks. Only one goes over the 3-minute mark. But come on, do you need more?! What did you learn with the Ramones and “Bleach” era Nirvana?! It might be short, but it will rip your guts! And Blushe does that… with that feminine touch!

People… in case you do not believe that what I say is real, check them out for yourselves (www.blusheband.bandcamp.com/releases) and enjoy. Mandatory isolation has these positive things to it: one gets to discover new and good music. Thank you, dear ladies!

Photos deliberately stolen from the band's Instagram ... my bad!

Comentários

Mensagens populares deste blogue