Transmountanian Black Metal


Íngreme & Insomnia Pálida

Íngreme & Insomina Pálida (Nekrogoat Heresy Productions, 2022)

I read, the other day, something very true: Portuguese Black Metal was, for years, seen as “inferior”, as lesser, when compared to other European scenes, by its fanbase (can I choose “fanbase” as a way to describe?). I too, looked at “our” Black Metal scene as being small, modest. You know that feeling people tend to have, where they see themselves lesser than A or B, just because A or B did this and that? Well, that is the Portuguese mentality, in a way. Not a good one, I reckon.

Nonetheless, we also have a very courageous side to us, and just like we conquered the oceans, we conquered Black Metal (majestic warrior pose)! It is true, and it makes me extremely proud, to read reviews on Portuguese Black Metal releases, speak to Black Metal fans from all around the World, and hear their descriptions of our sound, of our Black Metal! It feels you heart with love, right? Yeah, no doubt.

Alongside Insomnia Pálida we have Íngreme, a more recent act. Also hailing from the city of Bragança, Íngreme has an Old School, sort of classic, approach to the genre. Much closer to the likes of Cripta Oculta or the pagan side of Black Howling, one can even spot out some Eastern European Black Metal from the 90s. Íngreme takes us on a journey through the mountains that paint Bragança’s horizon with green and brown, wolves and snow. Íngreme is yet to show itself to the Portuguese scene, but I truly believe that triumphant will be its path. I have always been a fan of sounds that were able to take me back in time, to ages of warriors and castles, medieval like symphonies that depict images of old. Pagan Black Metal, Medieval Black Metal… call it whatever, but its melodies are enchanting. Simple, but effective. Sang in Portuguese, of course, it raises a sense of national pride, of affection for your land, for your traditions. I know how this might sound, and I hope my words are not incorrectly understood, as I have no information regarding the members ideology, and I am only focusing on Music, not Politics. As I was saying: Íngreme’s approach is quite simple, but with very effective riffs; melodic but powerful enough to paint you an image, as stated multiple times in this review. I find it to be a massive set of songs. No doubt! Waiting for the next one, lads.

Not only are we breaking – or helping – the “geographical paradigm” of Black Metal, but we are offering more and more high-quality Black Metal, and some come from the deepest “blackest holes” in our geography: Bragança in this case. I have been following Insomnia Pálida since the beginning, and not only due to its connection to this city (the real North) but based on its musical / artistic quality. Its path has been one of transformation; from the days of Depressive and Melancholic semi-acoustic tunes to a much rawer and more dirty Black Metal, we ended up at the stage we are now: Insomnia Pálida’s most recent perspective of the genre. It is remarkable how he, the musician, the artist, has grown, and is now taking chances and risks. This might not be my favorite release from him, but I do appreciate the risk taking, the pushing boundaries! It will turn a few heads, but it will surely capture people’s interest! From the dirty streets of the city to the desperate sights of a deranged mind, the artist grabs us by the neck, and gives a tune like “A Descida”, a track that seems inspired by Techno from the 90s, or overall electronic music… electronic reigns supreme, I dare say. Not that I got hooked on these tunes, at least now at first, but they show that the man behind the entity does not have any fear of risking. Take Irae, for example. Vulturius’ last releases have taken us in directions which we were not expecting, or at least not with such depth, but look how that turned out: exquisite. So, fear not! Let us wait for what might come next and rejoice for the quality that exists in our Black Metal scene.

Íngreme and Insomnia Pálida still have a long way to go, of that, I am sure, and I truly believe that we will hear more quality releases from each.




 



Comentários

Mensagens populares deste blogue