Morte Perpetua – A Continuous State of Death



This is another one of those olds interviews I did a while back. Morte Perpetua, an act from the US with close connections to the Portuguese Black Metal scene ("Wander Through the Depths of the Void", with Insomnia Pálida, and "VIII Hymns Towards Intolerance and Satanic Immortality", with Injuria). Rotten to the core, melancholic and visceral… this is Morte Perpetua.


Thank you for your time, and my apologies for the delay! Time does not stop, and it barely lets us breathe. This situation has been going on for about a year, and we do not see an end. How are you living it?

Doing well so far just staying busy here, working on art and music projects never letting creativity halt, and as for this situation it needs to end we’ve had enough.

First, may I ask you how the collaboration with Insomnia Pálida came to be? This is one of those projects that I am sad it does not have more visibility, essentially because it has its origin in the very noble city of Bragança. Once again, released through Hatework.

If I remember correctly, it was through you, I believe we found we could be of great compatibility. Soon after that, we talked and we shared each other's music and agreed to do a split – great musicians by the way – and devastating split that came to be. 

More than focusing on Morte Perpetua, Moribund or Nostalgia, I would like to ask you to give us a description of this journey of yours – if we can call it that – in the world of Black Metal? Before you were a musician, you were a listener. How was your discovery of Heavy Metal and Black Metal? What was the concept chosen for this work? The title itself ("Wander through the Depths of the Void", 2020), what is the idea /message? Was there a collaboration at that level, too? 

My music Journey began within this genre back in 2002 going to an old record store and first bands that caught my attention were Old Man's Child, Darkthrone, Burzum and Bathory once I heard their music I was hooked and from there my journey within black metal began.the feel I got from these bands was very intense at the time and it opened up doors within my creative perspective For sure.

When it came to writing the music/sound for the split i was in a mental state of agony and nostalgia after the loss of my grandfather in 2019, may he rest in eternal glory... I channeled my pain deep within those tracks. I believe the idea/message was of equal fit. 

Tyrant Arild created the title, and to me was the perfect phrase I believe it speaks for itself. 

Both you, and the creator of Insomnia Pálida, were you satisfied with the result, and the way it was received? 

From our part yes, I feel we captured the black emotions I tried to Channel at the time were really based on riffs and to cause a suffocating oppressive atmosphere Tyrant Arild’s vocals were the final touch, the blade to the throat! As for the intro and outro, they were made by another member of our Circle, Gamol (Megalith Grave), and they were just perfect for the split. 

From the times we talked, I got the idea that your opinion, about the Portuguese Black Metal scene, was quite positive, correct. What do you find in it that made you create emotional, and even collaborative, bonds?

Yes, the Black Circle was and still is a great inspiration, creative musicians and respectful mates who managed to keep the flame of the LLN alive and still create their own original sound. LLN has always been of great inspiration to me and a main reason I was drawn to the Portuguese scene. Their sound is raw filthy obscure and very complex and vocals are demented for sure.Also yes I have done a few collaborations with a member or two from that scene, a few projects have been completed and others in the works. 

What is your opinion about what you do today in terms of Black Metal? Do you consider that the genre is properly taken care of, by musicians, supporters, and publishers, for example?

I am still very inspired by the old school sound and very raw and filthy rehearsal type sound, I want to keep that alive, and I do within my projects.Yes I feel that certain individuals and labels are still keeping the tradition alive and still hold the flame of the elders in hand. when it comes to labels Hatework definitely keeps it underground and straight to the point and not overexpose the artist which I definitely  support, and of course there is a few other labels as well.

In recent years, we have seen situations that which I consider to be absurd: albums for sale, on platforms created for this, at exorbitant prices. How much is this contrary to the core of Black Metal? At least the idea that many of us have of the genre.

Definitely it's not what metal is about if your in to make money your in the wrong business this is art dedicated to the occult and money is out of the question to me.I definitely don't support this kind of garbage money act and flippers, these are the very people and Black Metal hipsters fucking up the underground and no true Black Metal follower will nor shall tolerate this.

How is Black Metal, as a musical genre and as something more spiritual, a part of you, as an individual? This question may sound too “Evil”, but it has its reason for being. I think we both look at the genre as more than just music. There is something about it that exalts other ways of thinking, of seeing, of doing, and this question goes in that direction.

I am a very spiritual person so Black Metal has always spoken to me in a deep spiritual way it's the pulse of Life the sound of death and it's most absurd yet beautiful form,it puts me in a spiritual trance it's a ritual every time, main reason my music is and mainly has been improvised because I go with the flow of my emotions at the time I record, and I feel planning and over rehearsing kills this essence. 

What do you take as the main influences for the creative work you do? Whether they are musical, lyrical, spiritual, experiential…

When it comes to music, I shall say it is a huge list but to say the least I would say the French, Portuguese, Mexican and the Bosnia and Herzegovina scene are top-notch in my opinion. lyrically I can't even begin I get inspired by books I read based on occultism, spiritualism, paranormal, Shadow entities  my own beliefs, thoughts and experiences, about the creation process for music has always been with a certain sound stuck in my head which I then transfer onto guitar and from there it's easy it all comes together quickly. Also in the recent years I have been experimenting a bit more with sound and effects Which will continue in future releases and projects.

How would you describe the North American Black Metal scene right now? So ignored in the past, today it seems that we have the reverse. Can we say that there are more, and better, projects?

Definitely much better than before and it's growing day by day. Great names like Von, Judas Iscariot, Xasthur and Leviathan, just to name a few, are some that made their mark under the U.S Banner in the 90s. 

The thing was there was never any circles/groups of musicians making more projects together like the Inner Circle, LLN, Black Circle Etc,at least that i'm aware of at the time, U.S. scene was more isolated as bands so to say and artists mainly worked alone so not much expansion like these great circles did.Nowadays there is many out there, very good projects/bands too many to name but if your up to date you know what i mean.

Morte Perpetua, Moribund, Nostalgia... is there any other project that is about to be made known to the World? Or future collaborations, by the way? Something with Vulturius, maybe?

Yes. Actually a few soon-to-be-released and others in the works with different members within the current Underground. One project does involve Vulturius which is a Unity of Filth, Darkness and Madness for sure. first demo has been complete and will be released this year through Signal Rex. 

As for projects within the Necrosaint Worship Circle there is more to come, possibly around 11 projects in total so far, half run by me, and half by Gamol and a lot have collaborations from our European brothers/bandmates.

How does the "selection" of songs work for each of the projects you are involved in? 

Well, many tracks are planned in my head for the execution I want to deliver, others are just improvised tracks which I later put on whatever project I feel fits best. In Moribund there is a variety of sounds in each release it's just whatever chaos brings.

Still in line with the "creative method": when you decide to proceed with a Split, what is your creative mindset? Is there an intention to "fit" with your partner’s music”, or does the creator's individuality become even more audible?

The Bands/ projects I do splits with are definitely projects I like and find compatible to work with. There are times I do try to make my sound compatible but not always. It is always good to have different sounds within a split. I try to bring a different vibe than the band I am doing a split with and eventually make the split a monument of variable execution. 

What does the future have for us, from your side? Music, let there be Music! Thank you so much for the time and words. Will we talk about the future? Very possible! Cheers, mate! 

Well all I can say is keep an eye out because the flame is still burning; more madness is well on its way.  Thanks for your interest!

WORSHIP DEATH, HAIL KHAOS, and NEVER STOP THE MADNESS!!!



Comentários

Mensagens populares deste blogue