The North-American scene is one that keeps on giving. After years, and years, of being seen as lesser than others, the number of projects coming out of this enormous country is growing, in number, and quality.

Bereft Raven is one of those cases where Melody and the Rawer side of the genre collide, all gathered around a gothic atmosphere provided by the Raven. All class Black Metal. Come and read thy words.


Thank you for your time, first. Shall we start from the beginning? When, where, how, who, why, did all of this come about?

Hail to you for your consideration. For the protection of this project, I must not say too much, for that would tarnish the aura. I Am the Invoker of the soaring black deity, ANGELDESTRUCTION. I began experimenting around the summer of 2021, and began to grasp the courage and contempt to expel this hate around the fall of the same year. Make no mistake- this is not an experiment anymoreno fucking ounce of tourism is in my body. Why I do this is because the sweet release of death tickles me when I make such sounds. Every man wants to die beautifully. These sounds will be my claim once the Armageddon reigns.

What about Incursion? Can you also tell us how - and why - you started this new project?

When I make my Hyms, I have so much I want to do but it gets hard to fit it all into BEREFT RAVEN, so INCURSION is a side excavation exploring my deep admiration for Polish Black Metal- bands like INFERNUM and XANTOTOL. Even the great LAM of ZARABANDA MOON from New York- One of if not THE BEST magicians of darkness. ETERNAL MEMORY TO LAM, MAY HE FINALLY REST. In addition, BEREFT RAVEN is more grasp-able in the way of melodies, INCURSION is a bit more unfiltered and spiteful.

The North American scene has grown tremendously in the last years, which leads to musicians feeling much more inspired to develop their music. Did it push you to go ahead and craft your music?

Some of my first bands I found were from here and it gives me a small sense of pride indeed. You cannot deny that United States Black Metal has some great acts. However, there is something particularly stupid going on in this country- Bandcamp culture and what I Call “Digital” Black Metal. Overly photoshopped covers, Meaningless vocals, Garage band guitar- it is like the weekend warriors are trying to dilute the genre. However, these bands become forgotten aboutand they go back to whatever little niche interest they are into. I respect you and all the other freaks reporting all the way from PORTUGAL and overseas- you have a unique story to tell in the way of how you found this sound, and you have a unique scene. As the U.S. Scene grows back, for every 100 bands, one provides something new.

How do you look at the current Black Metal scene? In the US, in Europe, in Asiaglobally speaking: how do see the genre, today? Moreover, what is your connection to it: just musical, spiritual, etc.?

Back to the last question, there’s a lot of mindlessness right nowI think more people need to let Satan deep into their heart, their psyche, and their motivesMore fucking wrongdoings give you more of a reason. Globally, worldly, I think everyone should be in total conspiracy against the fact we live on this fucking planet. Fuck, I listen to this shit every waking hourthe music drives me. And it should for everyone else.

Where do you draw inspiration from? Both musically and lyrically, of course. The oldest bands, the newer bands, both, other genres, etc.?

I draw a ton of inspiration from old gloomy artwork, like William Holbrook Beard, Desire Thomassin, Albrecht Dürer, and one of my favorites : Caspar David Friedrichalso how could I not mention Doré. I Speak about these artists' works in my lyrics from time to time. I am inspired by a decent amount of new shit- a lot on the great label from your country, BLACK GANGRENE PRODUCTIONS, BLOOD MAGIC, DEOGEN, WITCHMOON. Some great new bands I worship are SANGUINE RELIC (who does not in this day and age), FORBIDDEN TEMPLE, DIABOLICAL FULLMOON, and even Symphonic bands like STORMKEEP! Keep the Symphonic shit ALIVE! I mostly listen to older bands though. Love Death Metal as well. Especially Old School shit



In addition, there is a bit of Dungeon Synth in your music. Where does that facet of your music come from? What universe led you to the genre?

Hmm, I would not really say it has Dungeon synth in itit’s just a slower symphony of keys in my eyes. I love Symphonic Black Metal. I try to incorporate majestic synths to enhance the magic, as do many other bands. It draws you in more.

May I ask about this fascination with the Raven? Your name, your Demo’s title, the title of the tracks, artwork, all revolve around the Raven. Is Gothic Poetry something you look into/inspires you when writing? Is it a conceptual work (crazy as it may sound)?

Great question, I write about the raven in my songs because it has significance regarding the end of life. The raven eats Carrion. When its black feathers cover the moon, that is my call. The significance is also complex. The talking bird represents a prophecy, a forebodingThe raven is Bereft due to the lack of humanity, the departure of it all leaves the Raven Solemnly standing. I certainly look up to Edgar Allen Poe’s work, and what a surpriseHis poem, “The Raven”. But this is not the centric force of my work. It is just worth mentioning. Ever since I was a boy, I've always felt a burning connection to “The Raven”...

“Feathers Lay on Cold Arches” might be my favorite track on your Demo. The melody, the vocals, those synths, all craft this atmosphere that goes very well with the thematic. How does the overall creative process develop?

I think of it sort of like sculpting- shaping up a figure, a dark minion or creature of mine- I wail away on the guitar, creating the frequencies of violence- then I lay down the rhythms of battle and disease. The synths really are the magic- the spell. It ties it all together. Then, I croak.

That sound: were you looking for it to sound Raw and Primitive, or this is the way you work? Do you believe it would make a significant difference if the production was crystal clear, for example?

I work on analog equipment to continue the creative process those before me utilized. Call it primitive if you will, it makes me appreciate the rhythms a bit more. A little extra distortion makes it better as well

Along those lines: does Black Metal need to be Raw and Primitive? The genre’s dimension allows various sounds, or is there only one true sound (as cliché and Trve Kvlt as this might sound)?

There is absolutely no true sound whatsoever! Hail to the Symphonic and noisy hordes all together! It is all about using what is available to you. Only you can take it further- noisier or cleaner.


You work alone, so all your decisions are final. Does that make it easier, or harder, in the end, to move forward and record?

As I practice for live shows with some brothers I’ve secured, I notice how strange it is for me to delegate all the instruments- I was very used to it all staying inside my head. I enjoy recording and preparing everything on my own. For a while I was keeping all of this interest to myself, and in a way it pained me to not be able to rehearse with anyone, but as I met them I felt like it was destiny that this occurred. I plan on working on some other projects with them.

What plans do you have for a near future? After 2 Demos, is there a Full Length on the horizon?

I am working on the first album, and cannot waitto give you an idea, it will be more polished soundingThe hate will be blended in accordingly. Before this is released aas we speak, there will be a third demo out soon, called “UNDER TALONS OF MALEVOLENCE”. This will be released by FORBIDDEN SONORITY in December or January 2023. Then, there is a small split with WOLFTOWER of Finland after that.

Thank you very much for the opportunity; will most likely contact you when you decide to release new music.

See you in the future. Cheers. Thank you for having me, thank you for your interest, Hail to all the freaks in Portugal. You guys rule, Hail to MONS VENERIS, SIGNAL REX, and BLACK GANGRENE PRODUCTIONS!!!


Comentários

Mensagens populares deste blogue